The turkey has long been the centerpiece of an American Thanksgiving feast. However, for some people, the traditional basted and roasted turkey may look pretty, but doesn’t taste that good. If you fall into this camp, consider taking on the turkey this year and try one of these five alternative ways to cook a turkey.
- Deep fried. For possibly the most delicious, yet unhealthy, turkey you’ve ever had, try deep frying. This is something you must do outside so you don’t catch your house on fire. And, make sure you have the proper tools.
- Smoked. For a truly unique flavor, trying a smoked turkey. You can use different types of woods and other seasonings to create a one-of-a-king taste.
- Spatchcocked. This method involves removing the turkey’s spine and laying it out flat before roasting. This will help the turkey cook evenly and better retain its moisture.
- Turducken. This recipe calls for a turkey stuffed with a duck stuffed with a chicken. It is complicated and takes a long time, so make sure you’re fully ready for the task before attempting this feat.
- Stewed. While you may lose the traditional turkey look, a rich turkey stew will never be dry. Pair it will all the traditional side dishes so no one is disappointed.
Are you planning on trying an alternative turkey recipe this year?